I made these spicy mussels for dinner last night and the flavour knocked my socks off! I was literally tearing the shell open with both hands to get out the juicy mussel in side and the hit of jalapeno added a lovely change in texture and sensation.
I know that there are a million different recipes that you can choose from when seeking out a good seafood one, what I liked about this was the extra punch from the red curry paste and the ability to sop up the sauce with the polenta chips
Serves: 2 people
Preparation: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Parmesan crisp Ingredients
300 grams freshly grated or shaved parmesan
1 cup polenta
1 cup stock (any flavor)
Sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to season
1kg fresh (or frozen, thawed, if can’t get fresh) mussels
Freshly chopped garlic
1 large red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup chilled white wine
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1 can coconut cream
3 fresh jalapenos
½ punnet cherry tomatoes cut in ½
Parmesan crisps method
- Put a piece of aluminium foil onto a baking tray and spray with oil
- Take small pinches of the cheese and start to make small mounds with it on the foil.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 180 degrees
- Turn oven off and leave baking tray in there for another 5 minutes so that the heat lightly browns the melted cheese mounds
Take out of the oven and set aside to garnish the mussel dish when ready
- Pour stock into a small saucepan and bring to the boil
- Add some freshly ground salt and pepper
- Tip the polenta into the pan and stir continuously for 5 minutes. Polenta will absorb the water and start to thicken
- Turn the heat down to low and add the grated cheese, continue to stir
- Once the polenta has fully absorbed the stock and that cheese has melted into the mix, turn the stove off and remove the pan.
- Spray a slice tin with oil and scoop polenta into the slice tin, use the spoon to push it together so you have a nice thick layer you want thick chips, so you don’t have to use the full slice tin area, ½ will work fine
Sprinkle a little bit more grated cheese on top then put the slice tin into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
1. Add olive oil to a frypan that has a glass lid on it.
2. Add the freshly chopped garlic and red onion
3. Add the white wine and simmer these ingredients with the lid on for approx. 4 minutes.
4. Add 2 tablespoons red curry paste, simmer again with lid on for approx. 2 minutes
5.Take lid off and pour in can of coconut cream, stir to fully combine ingredients and mix will look smooth and consistent.
6.Add the cherry tomatoes and jalapenos
7. Add the mussels to the pan and cover with the lid
8. Turn the heat down and let them cook for 4-5 minutes. You will see the shells beginning to open (discard any after cooking that remain closed)
9.Take the lid off and turn the stove to the lowest setting
10.Spoon the mussels into a serving dish and then pour remaining liquid over mussels
- Have the mussels in one large bowl, garnish with parmesan crisps.
- Put the polenta chips into a small side dish.
- Pour a couple of glasses chilled white wine
- Have a spare bowl handy for the shells to go into
- Serviettes as if you dig in to the mussels with your hands, you will have sticky fingers!