I have been going to a lovely restorative yoga class on a Friday night for a few weeks now and like most weeks, after the class we were treated to some yummy nutritious snacks including energy balls. Whilst I have made them before, they don’t often come to mind as something to make on a weekend as I am usually looking for something a little more on the bad side then the good. However, yesterday I went to a raw organic store down the street and had a peanut butter ball and I knew then, I would have to get the ingredients to make some for the week ahead as so delicious, filling and a nice treat with ingredients that don’t make me regret eating them after.
These were super easy to make, the whole process only took about 30 minutes and at the end of the day, they are a good snack that will keep for a while in the fridge also.
In the past, I made them with dried apricots, coconut and a few other ingredients, but this time, I wanted to stick to the chocolate/peanut variety and as peanut butter is so delicious it was a no brainer to grab a jar of that yummy crunchiness (I’m not a huge fan of smooth peanut butter as I love the texture of the crunchy stuff).
Makes 10 balls
½ cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup chopped unpitted dates
1 tablespoon black chia seeds
1 tablespoon sunflower kernels
1 tablespoon cacao power
1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- Process dates in food processor until all chopped up
- In a separate bowl, add the peanut butter, chia seeds, coconut and sunflower kernels
- Tip the chopped up dates into the mix and stir with a spoon to make all of the ingredients well mixed in with each other.
- Using a spoon put a small mound of the mixture into your palms and roll into snack sized balls
- Make some of them a little bit smaller and for these ones, have a small side dish with the cacao powder in it.
- Rolls these ones in that until the full balls is coated and there is no gaps
I would highly recommend these were served with a delicious chai latte – perfect combination for an afternoon snack!
Tip: Your hands will likely become very sticky with the mixture so, rinse in between after each 1-2 balls are rolled so you don’t waste the ingredients by washing it down the sink.
These can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, but I think you will have troubles in making them last that long, they are pretty tasty!