Happy New Year everyone! I hope that the day has been enjoyable and relaxing. I am super happy to have gone to yoga this morning, 1st class of the year, nice and stretchy but also worked up quite a sweat! For Christmas one of the gifts I received was a Donna Hay cookbook (Basics to Brilliance). In that she does a butterfly roast chicken. I had really wanted to try roasting a chicken like that and seeing as I also got some kitchen scissors as another gift, I thought why not. The lemon and garlic are simple ingredients, I usually try and pack in lots of flavour, however, I am glad that she guided me to try a little something different. The chicken was easy enough to butterfly, the scissors did the job very well.
I do try and eat quite well – especially by adding lots of vegetables into my diet and whilst I am not one for resolutions I want 2018 to see my food take steps in an even healthier direction. The quinoa is easy to cook and I always feel so good after eating it – much better than heavy carbs. This week we had also taken a trip to the library and I grabbed a Women’s weekly In Season cookbook, in it, there was a delightful looking Quinoa, chicken and parsley salad.
So this my friends, is the meal of the fusion from the inspiration those 2 books gave me – it doesn’t involve a lot of time or effort and the balance is good if you are looking to start detoxing!
Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year – stay safe and see you in the kitchen!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Lemon and garlic roast chicken with quinoa salad ingredients
(adapted from Donna Hay and Women’s weekly cookbooks)
1 free range (or RSPCA approved) chicken
4 garlic bulbs
1/3 vegetable oil
1/3 cup room temperature water
2 cups quinoa
4 cubes chicken or vegetable stock
can rinsed cannelloni beans
2 shallots, thinly sliced
punnet grape tomatoes
Lemon and garlic roast chicken with quinoa salad method
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, fan bake
- Take the chicken out of the packaging, rinse and lay on chopping board breast side down
- Take kitchen scissors and cut along eat side of the back bone and discard
- Place a few knobs of butter under chicken breast skin, then sprinkle chicken all over with salt and pepper, following this with the oil
- Cut the lemons and garlic in halves and arrange around a foil lined baking tray
- Pour the water into the tray, transfer to oven and cook for 50 mins until the skin turns a nice shade of golden brown
- For the quinoa, take 2 cups of dry quinoa and add to a saucepan with 4 cups of stock, boil the stock until it is fully absorbed by the grain
- Serve chicken on a bed of the quinoa with chopped grape tomatoes and slices shallots, add lemons and garlic from the baking tray.
*Butter-flying the chicken will allow the meat to cook through more quickly than a traditional whole roast chicken.
Eat your heart out xx