So recently I had a craving for mushroom spaghetti and I solved that by making a humongous bowl of it. But then I was thinking, it is fine to have pasta every now and again but it is not a food that I eat day in day out, as I try and balance the whole ‘carbs’ with sitting in an office and not having the most active of day jobs. So whilst the mushroom combo was a hit, I wanted to have the combination again, but didn’t mind the textural difference of zucchini noodles as opposed to actual spaghetti.
Way back, I was making zucchini noodles more often, but it is easy to fall out of the habit if you are not consistently striving to add more veggies and talking yourself out of pasta and into zucchini.
This is an easy dish that I did after work, so I know that it is not too difficult to bring together and if you want to cook but you are a busy working woman (or man), then give this a go as you will enjoy it and your belly fills full but not bloated after.
Damn girl, you do yoga, me too, high five to that, if you know what I am saying 🙂 Not much point in sweating your arse off if you are then just going to stuff it full of food, although, hey, I am a big eater, I like food, always will, but I still want my jeans to fit and some days then feel a wee bit snugger than others.;
So, the dish – pretty basic, you need a zucchini and a butt ton of sliced mushrooms (save yourself sometime and your fingers and buy the slices ones), lots of spices, bit of oil, hot pan, simmer time, bing and then done and just top it with some parmesan (it’s ok to add a bit more than seems necessary, it is after all the food with the highest fat content in the meal.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Mushroom and zucchini spaghetti ingredients
1 large zucchini
450 grams sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon garlic flakes
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
salt and pepper to season
grated parmesan cheese
Mushroom and zucchini spaghetti
- In a small glass jar add olive oil, thyme, chilli flakes, garlic flakes, salt and pepper, stir to combine, then set aside.
- Make zucchini noodles
- Toast sesame seeds in the microwave in a heatproof bowl
- Turn stove on, pour in oil mix, then add sliced mushrooms.
- Cook till mushrooms are a golden colour consistently in the pan
- Turn stove off and add noodles to the pan, stir to combine but don’t reheat
- My noodle maker (I am trying to think of the technical term but it escapes me at the minute, oh wait……spiraliser, that’s it) is from Kmart, cost me like $20 and is bloody good. Save yourself the hassle and get a cheap one. I have tried a few different ones and this is my favourite.
- Ha, ha noodle maker!! I can only imagine what images come to mind!
- I like this dish with raw noodles, they get a bit warm when you mix them with the mushrooms. You don’t need to reheat but you can if you must, only downside is the dish will get a bit watery.